Time and date: 7 pm, April 29th, 2020
Location: Our Mother of Confidence Catholic Church
3131 Governor Dr. - corner of Regents Rd.
Serra Hall (Downstairs)
See map below...
Due to Coronavirus concerns -
The SDFWA March Meeting is CANCELLED
The scheduled program will be presented in May
Program - Focus on Special Interest Groups
Woodworking is a HUGE topic with many areas of interest. SDFWA has typically covered the canvas of woodworking possibilities with a broad brush and with few colors. If we want to engage more members in more topics then we should paint using more colors and with smaller brushes. That’s the idea behind our push for Special Interest Groups (SIGs).
Enjoy creating, exhibiting and competing in fine woodwork? For you we have Design in Wood. Enjoy working in and helping to run a community woodshop? For you we have the Member Shop. We represent other interests but there are many more to get excited about.
At our next General Meeting you’ll hear from people who have specific woodworking passions. You'll see their work and have the opportunity to express interest in learning more through joining a SIG. Among the topics already on the agenda are:
- Inlays and Marquetry: decorative work of inlaid woods of colors and grain
- Digital Design: design software to plan and execute your projects
- Turning: greatly satisfying soup-to-nuts projects in very little time
- Epoxy Resin: using epoxy with pigments and other additives in projects
- Lasers: using laser light to etch, score and cut wood
- Scrolling: precision cutting with intricate detail
- Caning: applying rattan cane to a furniture and art
- Live Edge: projects incorporating the live bark edge of wood
- Hand Tools: no power, no computers - just you, the tool and wood
- CNC Milling: computer controlled routing driven by digital designs
Of course the tried-and-true will be there too. Carvers, Toy Making, Luthiers, Digital Tools and Holiday Gift Builders will show their colors and enlist new members. Our goals are to start new SIGS, grow existing SIGs, and paint a picture of SDFWA woodworking with many more colors and much more detail.
Didn’t see your passion pursuit listed above?
You’d love to get a community interest group started?
It’s not too late, write me with your ideas and let’s get it in!
click here for Google map - 3131 Governor Dr.
The tool raffle is now held at the meeting break, and we are using a new procedure where you can allocate your tickets towards one or more specific raffle prizes.
- Lie Nielsen Jack Rabbet Plane
- Lie Nielsen Small Router Plane
- Lie Nielsen Honing Guide
YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO MISS IT!
REMEMBER! Money collected for the raffle goes toward the purchase of bigger and better prizes next meeting!!!
Ticket Sales start at 6:30, and only at the meeting. Come early and support this fun event. Every penny supports the purchase of prizes. More support means more and better prizes. Compare that to the odds on any other raffle you know of.
Raffle Committee Chair
Bring your latest project and show us what you've been up to.