Our 39th year!
Entries for the 2020 Design in Wood Exhibition are open.
All entries are accepted on-line at https://sdfair.com/exhibits/design-in-wood/
Read this Entry Information Brochure for detailed information about entering the Exhibition.
Visit the San Diego County Fair Design in Wood web page for complete entry information, including state and local fair rules, important dates, and a video of the 2015 Design in Wood Exhibition.
You can see previous years' Exhibition photos here.
Show Your Work
This is an invitation to show off your woodworking skills. Enter your projects and be recognized for your efforts. Compete for some of the over $20,000 in prizes and have over one million people see your work.
Enter the 2020 Design in Wood Exhibition
Design in Wood is an International Exhibition of Fine Woodworking co-sponsored by the San Diego Fine Woodworkers Association and the San Diego County Fair. The 39th Annual Exhibition takes place June 5, 2020 to July 5, 2020.
The following is a list of Entry Classes:
- Class 1 Contemporary Woodworking - Furniture
- Class 2 Contemporary Woodworking - Accessories
- Class 3 Traditional Woodworking - Furniture
- Class 4 Traditional Woodworking - Accessories
- Class 5 Art Furniture
- Class 6 Chairs - Furniture Made for Seating
- Class 7 Furniture Designed & Executed by Computer - Laser and/or CNC
- Class 8 Made for Children
- Class 9 Model Building - Scale
- Class 10 Model Building - Not to Scale
- Class 11 Musical Instruments
- Class 12 Clocks
- Class 13 Veneering/Marquetry - Furniture
- Class 14 Veneering/Marquetry - Art
- Class 15 Veneering/Marquetry Art - Designed & Executed by Computer - Laser and/or CNC
- Class 16 Wood Turning - Face Work: Perpendicular to the ways of the lathe
- Class 17 Wood Turning - Center Work: Parallel to the ways of the lathe
- Class 18 Wood Turning - Embellished/Mixed Media
- Class 19 Wood Turning - Laminated/Segmented
- Class 20 Wood Carving - Animals
- Class 21 Wood Carving - Birds
- Class 22 Wood Carving - Marine Animals
- Class 23 Wood Carving - Human Form
- Class 24 Wood Carving - Open
- Class 25 Scroll Saw - Intarsia
- Class 26 Scroll Saw - Fretwork (pierced & unpierced)
Design in Wood is the largest juried woodworking exhibition of its type anywhere.
Who can enter?
The Design in Wood Exhibition is open to all interested adult woodworkers. Wood projects must have been created by the artist whose name appears on the entry form. Student work not allowed.
How many entries can I submit?
A maximum of three entries, all classes combined, may be submitted per entrant. Works previously displayed in this Exhibition are not eligible.
Is there a fee?
The processing fee is $25.00 per wood project entered. Processing fees are non-refundable.
How do I enter?
On-line registration is required. Late entries will not be accepted. No faxes.
Entry Registration: All entries must be submitted on-line through the SD County Fair website by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on Friday, May 1, 2020. Digital photographs must accompany each entry along with fees paid by credit card. There are step-by-step instructions to guide you through the on-line entry process. Check the Entry Information Brochure for complete entry information, conditions, awards, and other details.
If you need help with photography or the entry process - you may also make an appointment with the Fair Entry Office and bring in your project. A staff member will take a digital photo and assist with your online entry.
The people at the fairgrounds are available to help with entries. You may phone the Exhibits Office at 858-792-4207 Mon-Fri 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Fair Entry Office will be open extended hours, until 7:00 pm, on Friday May 1, 2020. Additionally, you may always contact me with your questions.
Entry deadline: Friday May 1, 2020 - Midnight
Notification of Acceptance: Notifications will be emailed by Wednesday, May 6, 2020
Entry delivery day - for accepted entries: Tuesday May 26, 2020 - 12 noon to 8:00 pm
Awards ceremony: Thursday June 4, 2020 - 7:00 pm
Fair runs from June 5, 2020 through July 5, 2020 (closed Mondays)
Entry pickup day: Tuesday July 7, 2020 - 12 noon to 8:00 pm
Coordinator, Design in Wood Exhibition